Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said on Tuesday she had been placed under judicial investigation following a government decision to release a Libyan police officer wanted by the International Criminal Court. Osama Elmasry Njeem was freed last week and flown home by an Italian state aircraft just days after being detained in the northern city of Turin under an ICC arrest warrant for alleged crimes against humanity, including murder, torture and rape. The ICC has demanded an explanation, saying it had not been consulted over the decision to let him go. Meloni said in a message posted on social media that she had been placed under investigation by Rome’s chief prosecutor, Francesco Le Voi, for allegedly aiding and abetting a crime and misuse of public funds. She is under no
Category Archives: SECURITY
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, Sivenathi Gunya, said Hoorzook was released on condition that he report to the Sandton Police Station every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 6am and 5pm. He was also ordered to refrain from interfering with investigations or witnesses and share his live location with the investigating officer. Hoorzook faces multiple charges under the Protection of Constitutional Democracy against Terrorist and Related Activities Act, including six alternative counts of contravening Section 4(1)(f)(ii) of the Act. Gunya said additional charges include contravening the Regulation of Foreign Military Assistance Act and the Firearms Control Act after failing to secure firearms as prescribed by law. Police said his arrest comes after a lengthy and meticulous investigation that started in May 2018 when the Financial Intelligence Centre (FIC) and the
A female security guard working at Hercules Clinic in Pretoria was shot and injured during an attempt by robbers to access a nearby store on Sunday night. City of Tshwane’s MMC for health Tshegofatso Mashabela said the clinic was open on Monday after the crime scene had been comprehensively investigated by the police. She said on Tuesday the guard who had been admitted to hospital had been discharged and was recovering at home. “The damage at the clinic includes a broken ceiling and a detached air-conditioning unit — physical manifestations of a deeper threat to our community’s wellbeing. These acts of vandalism and violence target the core of our public health infrastructure,” Mashabela said. She said the community must take ownership of its precious infrastructure. “Hercules Clinic
Nurse claims officers were drunk during JAY JAY BANDA escape By Christopher Miti A nurse from Chipata Central hospital has testified in the Chipata Magistrates’ Court that some officers that were guarding former Petauke Central Member of Parliament EMMANUEL BANDA at the time he escaped from the facility appeared drunk. Testifying in a matter where five police officers and correctional service officers are jointly charged with Mr. BANDA’s wife LOMBE CHALI for aiding his escape, CAROL DAKA, a registered nurse said one of the officers was failing to walk as a result of being drunk. She said at some point she even told the officers to stop making noise. Ms. DAKA said at the time that Mr BANDA escaped; she heard a loud bang in his ward. She said when
“I’m safe and protected, surrounded by family and friends, and feeling better with each passing day,” Levy wrote. By JERUSALEM POST STAFF JANUARY 28, 2025 19:18 Updated: JANUARY 28, 2025 19:24 Naama Levy hugs her family after release from Hamas captivity, January 25, 2025 (photo credit: GPO) Released hostage, Naama Levy thanked IDF troops and the Israeli public for its support during her time in Hamas captivity in a post on social media on Tuesday. “I want to thank the IDF soldiers and all the people of Israel. Even in captivity, I saw how you were fighting for me! Thank you, everyone; I love you,” Levy, who was kidnapped from the Nahal Oz base on October 7, wrote. “I’m home. After 477 days, I’m finally home,” she wrote. “I’m safe
The city of Nagano in northern Japan is on high alert following a fatal stabbing near its main railway station last Wednesday, which left one person dead and three others injured. Despite the arrest of a suspect on Sunday, authorities are concerned about potential copycat attacks due to a series of threats. While acts of violence in Japan are still relatively rare, there has been a concerning increase in recent years, with one academic indicating it could point to deeper issues like isolation and mental health struggles. However, increased vigilance by schools and authorities reflects a growing awareness of these dangers. The Asahi newspaper reported that police and local education authorities received some email and phone threats, which they do not believe were sent by the alleged assailant, 46-year-old Yusuke
A teenager who stabbed two teachers and a pupil told police officers the attack was “one way to be a celebrity” as all eyes would be on her, a court has heard. The girl, who cannot be named, appeared at Swansea Crown Court on Monday charged with three counts of attempted murder at Ysgol Dyffryn Aman, Carmarthenshire, in April last year. She admitted to the triple stabbing of Fiona Elias, Liz Hopkin and a pupil during morning break time at her school, but denied attempted murder. The jury also heard that the teenager shouted she was “going to kill” people in the school. The teenager repeatedly said “I’m going to kill you” as she first stabbed assistant head Ms Elias, and again when she attacked a pupil, the court heard.
A decision by a court in the Indonesian province of West Kalimantan to acquit a Chinese national accused of illegally mining tens of millions of dollars worth of gold has been questioned by legal experts, with one calling it an injustice for the affected community. Yu Hao was initially convicted in October by a lower court for mining without permits from February to May last year and was handed a jail term of three and a half years and a fine of 30 billion rupiah (US$1.9 million), lower than the prosecution’s request for five years’ imprisonment and a 50 billion rupiah fine to be imposed on Yu. Following an appeal by Yu, the Pontianak High Court on January 13 acquitted the defendant due to a lack of “valid and convincing
Israeli forces block all four main entrances to the occupied West Bank city as the deadly raids enter a fourth day. Israeli military vehicles mount a large-scale Israeli army raid on Jenin, in the occupied West Bank [Jaafar Ashtiyeh/AFP] The United Nations has said it is “deeply concerned” over the Israeli military’s use of “unlawful lethal force” this week in its raids on Jenin, in the occupied West Bank – including using methods developed for fighting wars. “The deadly Israeli operations in recent days raise serious concerns about unnecessary or disproportionate use of force, including methods and means developed for warfighting, in violation of international human rights law, norms and standards applicable to law enforcement operations,” UN Human Rights Office spokesperson Thameen al-Kheetan told a media briefing in Geneva. “This
“Iran will hopefully make a deal, and if they don’t make a deal, that’s okay too,” Trump added. By JERUSALEM POST STAFF , REUTERS JANUARY 24, 2025 02:19 Updated: JANUARY 24, 2025 03:08 U.S. President Donald Trump sits in the Oval Office of the White House, as he signs executive orders, in Washington, U.S., January 23, 2025. (photo credit: REUTERS/KEVIN LAMARQUE) US President Donald Trump commented on Israel’s conflict with Iran on Thursday, saying, “It would be nice” if Israel would avoid escalation involving striking Iran’s military facilities. The statements came when he was asked by a reporter at the Oval Office what he thought about a strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities as he signed executive orders. “It would really be nice if that could be worked out without having
The US military has moved its Typhon launchers – which can fire multipurpose missiles up to thousands of kilometres – from Laoag airfield in the Philippines to another location on the island of Luzon, a senior Philippine government source said. The Tomahawk cruise missiles in the launchers can hit targets in both China and Russia from the Philippines ; the SM-6 missiles it also carries can strike air or sea targets more than 200km (165 miles) away. The senior Philippine government source said the redeployment would help determine where and how fast the missile battery could be moved to a new firing position. That mobility is seen as a way to make them more survivable during a conflict. Satellite images showed the batteries and their associated gear being loaded onto
NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 23 – The third contingent of National Police Service (NPS) officers deployed to Haiti as part of the Multinational Security Support Mission has begun post-deployment training to enhance their readiness and effectiveness in addressing local security challenges. Speaking about the initiative, Superintendent Charles Otieno, Director of Training at the Multinational Security Support (MSS), emphasized that In-Theatre Training is a vital follow-up to Pre-Deployment Training (PDT). He explained that the training is designed to familiarize officers with the unique demands of their mission and clarify their roles. “Back home, we usually deal with banditry and terrorism, but here in the Caribbean, the major challenge is gang-related threats. We must prepare our officers for the dynamics of local security challenges and the specific security threats they face,” Superintendent Otieno
Corruption Investigation Office for High-ranking Officials says president sought to ‘disrupt the constitutional order’. South Korea’s anticorruption agency has recommended that President Yoon Suk-yeol be charged with insurrection and abuse of power following a probe into the impeached leader’s short-lived martial law declaration. The Corruption Investigation Office for High-ranking Officials (CIO) said on Thursday that it requested prosecutors to file the charges after finding that Yoon had suspended civil rule with “the intent to exclude state authority or disrupt the constitutional order”. Following the CIO’s transfer of the case, the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office will have 11 days to decide whether to charge Yoon and send him to trial. Yoon, who has been suspended from his duties since a December 14 impeachment vote by the National Assembly, was arrested
An explosive new wildfire erupted north of Los Angeles on Wednesday, forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate their homes and setting nerves jangling in an area still reeling from two deadly blazes. Ferocious flames devoured hillsides near Castaic Lake, spreading rapidly to cover more than 3,800 hectares (9,400 acres) in just a few hours. The fire was fanned by strong, dry Santa Ana winds racing through the area, pushing a vast pall of smoke and embers ahead of the firefront. Evacuations were ordered for 31,000 people around the lake, which sits 56km (35 miles) north of Los Angeles, and close to the city of Santa Clarita. A helicopter drops water on the Hughes Fire. Photo: AP “I’m just praying that our house doesn’t burn down,” one man told
A 33-year-old man has been arrested for the murder of Neo Ntamane and the attempted murder of his mother in Tshiame B, near Harrismith. The Free State police have made a breakthrough by arresting a wanted suspect linked to the August 2024 shooting of a mother and her 27-year-old son in their home near Harrismith. The South African Police Service (Saps) public order police unit arrested a 33-year-old suspect for murder and attempted murder. The wanted suspect was arrested on Monday in Harrismith after the community provided information about the alleged murder of Neo Ntamane and the attempted murder of his mother, Ntsebeng Mokhethi-Ntamane, 52, on 11 August 2024. Free State police spokesperson Warrant Officer Mmako Mophiring said the mother and son were both shot in their home in Tshiame