Category Archives: SECURITY

Gunman on the run: rare mall shooting in Malaysia triggers manhunt

Gunman on the run: rare mall shooting in Malaysia triggers manhunt

A rare shooting at a shopping centre jolted Malaysia this weekend, leaving one man injured and a nation on edge. A 30-year-old fugitive with a history of drug offences remains at large, forcing malls and public spaces to tighten security. The suspect vanished into the night after hijacking a car at gunpoint following the shooting on Saturday evening at Setia City Mall in Setia Alam, 40 minutes west of Kuala Lumpur. A janitor was shot in the legs, police said. Videos of terrified shoppers scrambling for cover flooded social media, offering a rare glimpse of gun violence in a country that seldom suffers from it. Malaysia imposes severe penalties – including death sentences – for offences involving firearms. Civilians cannot easily own guns, and illegal possession carries harsh punishments, making

All the hostages need to be returned home, before it’s too late

(L-R) Ohad Ben Ami, Or Levy, and Eli Sharabi, released from Hamas captivty, February 8, 2025. (photo credit: Canva, REUTERS/Ramadan Abed)

Before anything else happens, before diplomacy, before rebuilding, before grand visions of the future – the hostages must come home. By JPOST EDITORIAL FEBRUARY 10, 2025 05:57 Updated: FEBRUARY 10, 2025 06:05 (L-R) Ohad Ben Ami, Or Levy, and Eli Sharabi, released from Hamas captivty, February 8, 2025. (photo credit: Canva, REUTERS/Ramadan Abed) The year was 1944. US bombers flew over occupied Poland, striking Nazi targets to weaken Hitler’s war machine. They passed within miles of Auschwitz, the infamous death camp where over a million Jews perished.  Survivors later recalled seeing American planes overhead – a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, someone would stop the horrors unfolding inside. But the bombers never turned their sights on the gas chambers. The US military argued that an attack on Auschwitz

Ukraine war: North Korean troops no-show down to fears of capture, intelligence leak?

Ukraine war: North Korean troops no-show down to fears of capture, intelligence leak?

Intelligence leaks and concerns over being captured could be behind the no-show for North Korean troops in recent weeks at the front lines of Russia’s war with Ukraine . Observers say, however, that as long as Pyongyang can gain from the conflict in terms of material support, it will continue to provide military aid to Moscow. Citing South Korea ’s intelligence agency, the Yonhap news outlet reported on Tuesday that North Korean troops had not been fighting in Russia ’s Kursk Oblast since mid-January. “One reason for this may be the occurrence of many casualties, but the exact details are still being monitored,” the National Intelligence Service said in a statement. Last Friday, a Ukrainian military official said North Korean troops had not been seen on the front lines in

Trump sanctions ICC over baseless arrest warrants against Netanyahu, Gallant

US PRESIDENT Donald Trump holds a signed executive order in the Oval Office last week. (photo credit: Carlos Barria/Reuters)

Donald Trump said the ICC abused its power by issuing “baseless arrest warrants” targeting Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant. By HANNAH SARISOHN FEBRUARY 7, 2025 00:42 Updated: FEBRUARY 7, 2025 01:54 US PRESIDENT Donald Trump holds a signed executive order in the Oval Office last week. (photo credit: Carlos Barria/Reuters) US President Donald Trump issued sanctions to members of the International Criminal Court through an executive order on Thursday evening as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wrapped up his day meeting with lawmakers on Capitol Hill.  Trump said the ICC abused its power by issuing “baseless arrest warrants” targeting Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, according to the order.  “The ICC has no jurisdiction over the United States or Israel, as neither country is a party to the

Relocation of Gazans would be temporary, says US secretary of state

Thousands of displaced Palestinians made the journey from south Gaza to the north of the strip following a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in January

Thousands of displaced Palestinians made the journey from south Gaza to the north of the strip following a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in January

US President Donald Trump’s proposal to resettle Gaza’s population would only be temporary, Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said. It follows Trump’s suggestion that the US could “take over” Gaza and resettle the millions of Palestinians living there – an idea that has drawn criticism from the UN, human rights groups and Arab leaders. White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt further clarified Trump’s comments, saying the US was not planning to put “boots on the ground” in the territory. Meanwhile, Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz has said Gazans “should be allowed to enjoy freedom of exit and immigration”, but gave few details on how this would work. On a trip to Guatemala, Marco Rubio said Trump’s proposal was not “hostile”, but a “generous move”, showing “the willingness of the United

As the Super Bowl nears, New Orleans grapples with how safe is safe enough

Louisiana State Police assemble outside the Superdome, Feb. 3, 2025, in advance of the upcoming Super Bowl to be played, Feb. 9th, in New Orleans.  Gerald Herbert/AP

NEW ORLEANS — The anticipation surrounding Super Bowl LIX in New Orleans is not just about which team will win, it’s whether or not the city can pull the game off without a serious security breach. New Orleans has hosted 10 Super Bowls in previous years, but Sunday’s game at the Superdome is different. Just over a month before Sunday’s kick-off, the city was the target of a terrorist attack on New Year’s Day in which a driver racing down Bourbon Street killed 14 people, injured 57 others, and heightened fears among locals that the city is unprepared for the estimated 100,000 visitors expected to arrive this week. “New Orleans never had a reputation as a high target type place” for terrorism, “it was always ‘the Big Easy,'” said Eric

Shin Bet foils bomb attack on Jerusalem bus planned by Ramallah terror cell

Shin Bet foils bomb attack on Jerusalem bus planned by Ramallah terror cell

The terrorist cell, made up of Fatah and Hamas operatives from the Ramallah area, was arrested in November-December 2024. By AMIR BOHBOT FEBRUARY 6, 2025 13:10 Updated: FEBRUARY 6, 2025 13:35 The members of the cell. (photo credit: SHIN BET) The Shin Bet  (Israel Security Agency) and the IDF thwarted a plot by a terrorist cell that planned to carry out a suicide attack on a bus in Jerusalem, the two forces announced on Thursday. The terrorist cell, made up of Fatah and Hamas operatives from the Ramallah area, was arrested in November-December 2024. The Shin Bet named the members of the cells as Ahmed Jasser Ali, Mander Sheikh Kassem, Bashir Awad, Ammar Subah, and Ali Shwiki.  The Shin Bet investigation revealed that the cell planned to remotely activate an

Hong Kong rules out legislation criminalising insults to civil servants

Hong Kong rules out legislation criminalising insults to civil servants

Hong Kong will not pursue legislation criminalising insults to civil servants, the government has said, noting the lack of overseas examples for such a law and that existing regulations already covered the act. The Civil Service Bureau also said the enactment of a domestic national security law was already effectively safeguarding security and social stability and the current administrations would focus on economic development. A letter sent to lawmakers on Thursday, which stated the administration would not draft the law during its current term, puts to rest, at least for now, a years-long discussion, amplified by the anti-government protests in 2019. Police groups and some legislators had pushed for laws during the social unrest that would ban insults against officers, with suggestions that it could also be broadened to cover

Trump cuts aid to Kenya-led Haiti Mission as UN warns of a funding crisis

Trump cuts aid to Kenya-led Haiti Mission as UN warns of a funding crisis

NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 5 – The United States has issued a stop order on funding for the Kenya-led Haiti Multinational Security Support Mission, plunging the UN-backed campaign into a funding crisis. The United Nations (UN) confirmed the funding freeze, with AFP quoting Stéphane Dujarric, the UN Secretary-General’s spokesperson, as saying the move would impact USD 13.3 million in pending aid. “We received an official notification from the US asking for an immediate stop work order on their contribution,” Dujarric told AFP. The development, which aligns with former President Donald Trump’s radical approach to cutting foreign aid, comes just a week after President William Ruto reassured that the US had committed to supporting Kenya’s efforts to tackle gangs in the Caribbean nation. “I am very proud that even President Trump, under

Triple killer allowed to avoid medication as he disliked needles, report says

Valdo Calocane, who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, was given a hospital order in January 2024 after admitting manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility

Asha Patel BBC News, Nottingham Nottinghamshire Police Valdo Calocane, who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, was given a hospital order in January 2024 after admitting manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility Triple killer Valdo Calocane was not forced to take his anti-psychotic medication because he did not like needles, a major review of his NHS care has revealed. The NHS England report identified numerous failings that show “the system got it wrong” with Calocane, who stabbed to death Barnaby Webber, Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Ian Coates in Nottingham in June 2023. It laid out how Calocane, who has paranoid schizophrenia, had no contact with mental health services or his GP for about nine months prior to the killings – and was discharged after failing to engage with them. Mr Webber’s

Trump says US will ‘take over’ Gaza: ‘We’ll own it’

Trump says US will ‘take over’ Gaza: ‘We’ll own it’

In a stunning proposal, President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the U.S. will “take over” the Gaza Strip, “level the site” and rebuild it, after earlier saying Palestinians living there should leave. “They instead can occupy all of a beautiful area with homes and safety, and they can live out their lives in peace and harmony” in other areas or countries, he said at a news conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. “The U.S. will take over the Gaza Strip, and we will do a job with it, too. We’ll own it and be responsible for dismantling all of the dangerous unexploded bombs and other weapons on the site. Level the site and get rid of the destroyed buildings. Level it out,” he said. “Create an economic development that

Small plane crashes near Philadelphia mall in fiery explosion

Small plane crashes near Philadelphia mall in fiery explosionA small plane has reportedly crashed after departing from the Northeast Philadelphia Airport, according to the FAA.

Small plane crashes near Philadelphia mall in fiery explosionA small plane has reportedly crashed after departing from the Northeast Philadelphia Airport, according to the FAA.

The Learjet 55 crashed after departing from Northeast Philadelphia Airport. January 31, 2025, 8:46 PM A small plane crashed in Philadelphia on Friday, officials said, with a fiery explosion observed upon impact. The incident occurred near the Roosevelt Mall in northeast Philadelphia. The Learjet 55 crashed around 6:30 p.m. after departing from Northeast Philadelphia Airport, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. There is no word yet on injuries or deaths. Speaking at a news conference shortly after 8:30 p.m., Philadelphia Mayor Cherelle Parker said officials could not yet provide a number of fatalities. “So right now we’re just asking for prayers,” she told reporters. She said several homes and vehicles were impacted by the crash. People run after a small plane crash was reported in northeast Philadelphia, Jan. 31, 2025.

‘Hearts are heavy’: 14 figure skaters among victims of DC plane crash

Figure skating coach remembers victims of plane, helicopter collisionJackie Brenner, a U.S. figure skating coach, and Doug Zeghibe and Mia Bailey of The Skating Club of Boston remember those onboard the American Airlines flight that went down Wednesday night.

Figure skating coach remembers victims of plane, helicopter collisionJackie Brenner, a U.S. figure skating coach, and Doug Zeghibe and Mia Bailey of The Skating Club of Boston remember those onboard the American Airlines flight that went down Wednesday night.

Fourteen figure skaters — including some young athletes called the “rising stars” of the sport — are among the victims of the first major commercial plane crash in the United States since 2009, officials said. The Skating Club of Boston was devastated by the crash, according to Doug Zeghibe, the club’s CEO and executive director, who said six of the victims were from the Boston club, including two coaches, two teenage athletes and two moms of athletes. “Our sport and this club have suffered a horrible loss with this tragedy,” Zeghibe said. “Skating is a tight-knit community where parents and kids come together six or seven days a week to train and work together. Everyone is like family. We are devastated and completely at a loss for words.” Jinna Han

Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger officially leaveECOWAS

Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger officially leaveECOWAS

(FILES) A local resident walks past the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Lagos office in Lagos on September 24, 2024. (Photo by Olympia DE MAISMONT / AFP) Junta-led countries Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso have officially withdrawn from the Economic Community of West African States. They officially exited West Africa’s main political and trade group on Wednesday after more than a year of diplomatic tensions. The withdrawal has shaken ECOWAS, which many consider to be the continent’s most important regional group and this year marks its 50th anniversary. While its leadership said in a statement that the group would “keep ECOWAS doors open” to the three countries, their departure has left the organisation’s future uncertain. The rupture was sparked by the July 2023 coup in Niger, after military

Kwahu Traditional Council reaffirms single paramountcy following destoolment of former Omanhene

Kwahu Traditional Council reaffirms single paramountcy following destoolment of former Omanhene

The Kwahu Traditional Council has reiterated that there is no dual paramountcy within the Kwahu Kingdom, following the destoolment of the former Kwahumanhene, Daasebre Akuamoah Agyapong II, and the installation of his successor. In a statement issued by the Council, the Akyeamehene of Kwahu, Nana Asiedu Kwabeng IV, stressed that Daasebre Akuamoah Agyapong II was formally removed from office on 19th October 2024 after violating the sacred oath he swore as Omanhene that “he will not eat red oil and smear our white cloth in it.” His actions, according to the Council, had “soiled our cloth with red oil that he has eaten.” Events leading to destoolment The statement said the destoolment process was triggered by a petition submitted to the government by Mr. Collins Darkwah Aboagye on September 12


Notice: ob_end_flush(): Failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (1) in /opt/apps/esbecgroup/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5464

Notice: ob_end_flush(): Failed to send buffer of zlib output compression (1) in /opt/apps/esbecgroup/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5464