A senior Iranian commander has said Tehran will take “harsher revenge soon” after missile attacks on US targets in Iraq.
According to the Tasnim news agency, Abdollah Araghi spoke after US President Donald Trump said that Iran appeared to be “standing down” amid tensions between the two countries.
Ali Fadavi, the deputy head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, has said Iran’s missile attacks showed Tehran’s military power and the US forces “couldn’t do a damn thing”, according to a separate Tasnim report.
Iran fired missiles at bases housing US troops in Iraq in retaliation for the US killing of Major General Qassem Soleimani, who was targeted in an airstrike near Baghdad airport last week.
Esmail Ghaani, who has replaced Maj Gen Soleimani as head of the Quds Force, has said missile attacks on US targets in Iraq will eventually drive America from the region, according to the Iran state broadcaster’s website.
No American troops were killed in the missile attacks on bases in Iraq, but Mr Trump has said the US will impose sanction on Iran that will remain in place until the country “changes its behaviour”.
The US has said it is ready to take part in “serious negotiations” with Iran as it insisted the killing of their top general was an act of self-defence.
The US has also vowed to take additional action “as necessary” to protect its personnel and interests in the Middle East.
Mr Trump has urged world powers including the UK to follow Washington’s lead by abandoning the Iran nuclear deal so a new agreement can be reached.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said the UK is assessing the future of the 2015 deal due to “acute” non-compliance by Tehran.
US Ambassador Kelly Craft has told the UN that America stands “ready to engage without pre-conditions in serious negotiations in Iran”.
She also said the death of Maj Gen Soleimani was “in response to an escalating series of armed attacks in recent months by the Islamic Republic of Iran and Iran-supported militias on US forces and interests in the Middle East”.
Ms Craft wrote in a letter that the killing of the Iranian general was justified under Article 51 of the UN Charter.
Countries are required to “immediately report” any measures taken in the right of self-defence to the 15-member UN Security Council under the article.
Iran justified its retaliation under Article 51 in a separate letter to the UN Security Council on Wednesday.
Mr Raab held talks with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Washington on Wednesday night as he called for restraint from both sides.
He said: “We made clear we recognise the danger and threat that Iran poses to the region.”
Mr Raab added: “We also recognise the US right to set its self-defence (but) at the same time, of course we want to see the tensions de-escalated.”
Asked if he was clear about the legality of the US assassinating Maj Gen Soleimani, Mr Raab said: “It’s not for us to substitute our judge for the operation decision the US makes, but there is clearly a right of self-defence and through international law.”
Be the first to comment